In all the turmoil and frenzy over Covid-19, we almost overlooked one very important event. The first day of spring ( March 19th) came and went without much fanfare. That’s sad. Spring is surely the best season of all for older Americans. Despite all of the self-quarantining and sheltering in place, it’s spring. It will be a great time to recover from the Covid-19 pandemic.
Spring is a time to rejoice
We should rejoice even if we only look at it out the window of our quarantining location. We have been assured that the Covid-19 pandemic will pass. The season of cute bunnies, colorful eggs, and greener gardens is just around the corner. It’s hard for a curmudgeon like me to not like spring. It’s the time of year when everything in nature is changing and promising new life and new hope. In the fall, I think Fall is the best season. In the spring, hands down. At my age, it’s ok to be a bit wishy-washy.
My top 13
So, here goes. In an effort to bring a smile to your face during these trying times, here are my top 13 reasons to like spring:
- Easter – It’s no doubt colorful Easter belongs to the spring season. This festive holiday represents a perfect opportunity to spend much-needed quality time with your loved ones, enjoy all the joyful customs and enter this fresh season with a smile on your face!
- Kites – You don’t have to go fly a kite to enjoy kites. Next time you drive past a park where kites are flying, stop and watch for a few minutes. It will do a baby boomer’s blood pressure good.
- Heaps of Sunshine – After the cold and gloomy winter, cozy spring sunshine comes to make your soul smile! Not only that the sun is shining but you feel the snug warmth of that big yellow ball in the sky. This means only one thing – no more heavy jackets, but a colorful lightweight coat is awaiting you in your wardrobe!
- More Sunny Hours in a Day – Thanks to the spring equinox, we’re able to enjoy longer days and shorter nights. That’s why spring is a perfect season to start a new hobby or project. Have you ever thought about crafting or gardening? Wait no more and take this spring as the ultimate season of opportunity.
- Perfect Temperatures- Spring comes in between two extreme weather seasons – harsh winter and searing summer. That’s why this gorgeous season brings us the ideal temperatures to pursue cool outdoor adventures and still enjoy comfy evenings curled up in a fluffy blanket.
- The Cutest Baby Animals – What is cuter than baby animals? Gorgeous bunnies, piglets, chicks, or ducklings. There is simply no escape from the adorable photos or videos of these little ones. But frankly, who would be escaping from this cuteness?
- Flowers, Flowers Everywhere – After the long and grim winter, spring rewards our waiting with dazzling flowers! Starting with early snowdrops, beautiful flowers in blossom are popping up everywhere you go. Also, trees have got a fresh green look with its own blooming going on. How gorgeous!
- Fresh Breeze – What would be spring without its energetic and refreshing breeze that lights up the mood in a millisecond? Leave your windows wide open to let this warm airflow in and refresh your cushy home, too!
- Workout Outside – Ok, let’s face it. Who’s used the excuse of the blistering weather to skip the outdoor workout? In spring, tender sunshine will persuade us to leave the house even if we don’t feel like it! One more reason to start working on your summer figure early on. Surely, there are only positives!
- Spring Cleaning – In this season, everything seems to be waking up, so does your cleaning spirit! With the sun shining, the fresh air flowing in, and the motivation coming into being, cleaning a cherished home becomes a candid pleasure. Make your spring cleaning a priority, you won’t regret it! After all, nothing feels better than a rewarding relax after the hard work.
- Recharging Trips to Nature – Since the very first signs of spring, everyone cannot wait to spend more fun time outside. Indeed, this season calls out for taking out the hiking shoes and setting off for the next adventure! From breathtaking mountain views to rediscovering a nearby lake scenery, these offhand trips will surely become worthwhile memories for life!
- Winter Stuff – Last but not least, you can put away the winter “stuff.” Stuff like chains for your tires (or snow tires, if you’ve got them), heavy winter coats, knitted hats, gloves/mittens, snow boots, long underwear. You can store it for six months and not have to worry about snow gear, or ice, or frozen fingers/toes!
- As boomers, we should enjoy spring now. We might not make it fall!
At least, that’s the way I see it.
Until next time…
The Senior Observer
If you enjoyed this article, please like it. If you really like it, please share it with your friends who might like it, too. I sure would appreciate it.